Follow up on the oil leak into the coolant.

To: <mkgoodman@worldnet.att.net>, "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Follow up on the oil leak into the coolant.
From: "John O'Brien" <banjojohn@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:38:24 -0600 (Central Standard Time)
Hi list:
Some may recall my problem with oil leaking into the coolant on my BJ8.
Mark Goodman was kind enough to bring an instrument all the way from New
York to Nebraska to help me diagnose.  We were fairly certain it was a head
gasket leak.  I took the car to Sports Car Garage in Omaha this week to have
the head gasket replaced - no time to do the work myself these days.  When
John got down to the head gasket he called to say it looked fine, but
admitted it could have been a tiny leak.  He sent the head to a machine shop
for the usual check up, but knowing the problem I described, he asked the
guy at the  machine shop if he had a way to check the head for leaks.  Since
there is just one pressurized oil passage through the head it was not hard
to plug one end and pressurize it.  it would keak down from 60 lbs. to 40
lbs. pressure in 10 minutes or so, so I did have a leak in the oil passage
through the head.  The machine shop guy figured out a way to sleeve the
passage and now there is no leak.  John is putting the engine back together
and I should have it back the first of the week.  Mark, just so you don't
feel too bad about missing the diagnosis, the oil passage is in the area of
the head that you identified (between 4 and 5 cylinder), however it is on
the other side of the head (spark plug side, not the manifold side)  I'm
sure we were hearing the leak.  I don't know yet what the final $$$ damage
will be, but at least I will feel comfortable that we found and fixed the
leak.
John O'Brien
'61 Bugeye
'65 BJ8

IMSTP.gif]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type Image/jpeg which had a name of
BackGrnd.jpg]