Re: Heatshields Revisited

To: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heatshields Revisited
From: <pennell@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 18:59:59 -0400
Mark,

I am not without the heat shields on the firewall.  I don't believe that the
shields are any way intended to make any real difference in the flow of hot air
into the cockpit.  I suspect the idea is to reduce the heating of the metal of
the firewall by radiated heat.  This idea is aided by the small spacers which
one finds behind the shields in some places to allow air flow.  Not sure if
these are present throughout the run of the big Healeys.

Same idea for the heat shield above the muffler.  I will say that I feel that
the shield above the muffler is of minimal help because of the close proximity
of the muffler to floor and the fact that neither the outriggers, main rail nor
inner sill are shielded.  Modern cars do not use a ceramic type stuff but a
metal shield of some configuration which is why in the resto of my BN7 I chose
fabricate a metal one to shield these spots.  I figured the manufacturers have
done the homework already so why should I!!!  I have no orig shield under there.

Just my .02
Keith Pennell