Bad Sound 2

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bad Sound 2
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:15:52 -0400
A compression test showed this:

                                                1 - 70#

Clearly Cyl. 1 has a problem.

I am looking at references to a "wet test" and not understanding the
explanations.

If I add oil to the cylinder and compression goes up, this means I have good
rings and valves?

If it does not change, it means I have bad rings and/or bad valves.

Since I can hear can hear a loud ticking when I spin the engine with not
spark plugs, it probably means I have a bad valve?

If so, what then? I guess the head has to come off. Does anyone have a
procedure for doing that?

What other things should be done at the same time?

TIA

Ned Smith

BJ8

near Chattanooga, TN