Bad Sound 3

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bad Sound 3
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:40:52 -0400
The story so far:

            What we know for sure

                        A loud noise is heard from the front of the engine
when under power.

                        The noise diminishes greatly when the spark plugs
are removed and the engine is spun with the starter.

                        No. 1 cylinder has a large compression loss compared
to the other cylinders.

                        I removed the rocker arm assembly and both valves
for #1 appear to be closed and I don't see a broken spring.

            Suggestions

                        I can't think of any malfunction that would cause
all these symptoms.

            My next step will be to remove the oil pan and withdraw #1
piston from below.

Ned Smith

BJ8

near Chattanooga, TN