Re: Lift device to store factory hardtop

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Lift device to store factory hardtop
From: Richard Hosmer <rahosmer@citlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 07:52:29 -0700
I made such a lift for the shell of my (small) pickup - and that is MUCH
worse than a Healey hardtop!

Use good nylon rope and don't skimp on the pulleys either! I ran four ropes,
and, due to the length of the shell, ran them in pairs over to a wall cleat
at each end. I'm sure you could run all four to the same cleat, AND be able
to pull them all at once, for the Healey.

I had to lift the shell in alternating stages. It was inconvenient - but it
certainly got the job done when no one else was around to help me.

As to sway, it was really never a problem - the secret is to pull it up as
high as possible - then, it cannot move. I did have a tall (9ft+) ceiling in
the garage, which helped a lot.  I could walk under it easily, just so long
as I was careful/aware of it when moving a ladder, etc.

Dick Hosmer