Re: Rear brake cylinder question

To: "Malaney, David W" <DavidWMalaney@eaton.com>
Subject: Re: Rear brake cylinder question
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:47:27 -0600
The most successful way to get the pistons out is to replace the bleed
screw with a grease fitting. The fitting threads don't have to exactly
match. If you can get a couple of threads engaged & sealed with teflon
tape it should hold the pressure. Pump grease in until the piston moves
out.  Few of them can resist the very high hydraulic pressure that a
"good" grease gun puts out. Safer than compressed air also.

You may have to replace the cylinders anyway. If the cylinders are
aluminum, the bores were originally hard anodized. Any honing will
remove the hard coat & the cylinders will not last terribly long.

You definitely need to deal with the stuck pistons at this time.

Dave Russell
BN2