RE: How Can I ...

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: How Can I ...
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 11:59:09 -0700
Hi, Ned -
I'm glad you recognize the need to remove the engine serial number plate
before having the block cleaned in a hot tank.  Too many engines are now
totally unidentified because the plate dissolved in the cleaning chemicals,
and that is the ONLY place on the engine where the serial number appears.

I filed a flat on the top of each drive rivet, and using a Dremel tool and
small cutting wheel I cut a screwdriver slot in the rivet head on the flat.
I found it quite easy to turn the drive rivets out like a screw by tapping
on the end of the screwdriver with a hammer while keeping "loosening" torque
on the rivet.  Probably used some WD-40 or such on it to ease the process as
well.

Good luck!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666