Healey Question Help

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Healey Question Help
From: "John Soderling" <jsoderling@astound.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:28:58 -0700
Hi all,
A local British car mechanic who recently worked on my friend's BN4 mentioned
that his fan (engine off) could be rotated slightly back and forth.  He said
this should be check into without giving any more details.
Grabbing a fan blade, one can rotate his fan about 1/2" measured at the end of
the blade, which through the fan belt is also rotating the crankshaft (and
generator) a little?  What allows this to happen?  Loose starting nut on the
crankshaft?  The fan has no play in it so I know it is securely bolted to the
water pump.  What needs to be done to fix this?
Thanks for any help.
Vroom vroom,
John