RE: Tire sizes - Pirelli Cinturato

To: "Harlan Polk" <happolk@cox.net>, <dwflagg@juno.com>
Subject: RE: Tire sizes - Pirelli Cinturato
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:33:09 +1000
 G'day

When I finished restoring the BN3/1 back in 1985 I was more interested
in comfortable driving more than anything else. In fact I still am.

So I went looking for a textile radial as they provided the superior
grip of a radial with the softer ride of a cross-ply. There wasn't much
available but I did find that back then 165/15 Pirelli Cinturato textile
radials were still being made in Brazil.

It was a different tread pattern than the original Cinturato but they
were great tyres that did exactly what I wanted of them. We would all
know that the radial equivalent size of the original cross-ply is 165/15
and it's useful to know that the most prolific car ever produced in the
history of motoring mostly has the same size tyre.

Some may not like the idea of having Volkswagen Beetle tyres of their
Austin-Healeys but they are the correct size and work perfectly.

By the way Michelin still make a small batch of XAS tyres each year and
Pirelli also make a small batch of Cinturato in the original patten. Do
a Google search on Pirelli Cinturato and while I didn't search far I did
find 155/15 in the original pattern and while narrower will fit original
Austin-Healey rims.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia