re spraying pressure

To: "healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: re spraying pressure
From: "B&C Phillips" <bjcap@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:51:19 -0400
Patrick,

Since you stated your using about 50 psi I'm assuming your using a high
pressure gun.
Depending on the material being sprayed ( it should tell you application
pressures on the material data sheets) for the most part your right in the
45 -50 psi range for most common auto motive enamels,primers, urethanes, and
lacquers (if available).
Here in the states most V.O.C. laws now demand use of a high volume low
pressure gun. ( H.V.L.P )
These gun are fantastic, extremely little overspray and huge increase in
material going to the work being sprayed. They use just 20-35 psi into the
gun and have a perfect pattern even with metallics and thats with   10 psi
out at the cap !!!! very  quiet  too, its hard to get use to.
I use an Anest Iawata ( Japanese) (and my favorite) and 2 De Vilbiss for my
primary finishing guns and another De Vilbiss for priming .
I bought a cheap gun for painting stuff around the house. Usually use about
35 - 40 for latex and oils ,I am a wet sprayer and like to lay it on smooth
, too much pressure can cause build up real fast .  Use latex or oil base
paints thru it but be thorough in cleaning each type. I would never use
household paints in one of my production automotive  guns.
Hope this helps,
Carroll Phillips      Top Down Restorations