RE: heaters

To: "'James Shope'" <healeymanjim@JoiMail.com>,
Subject: RE: heaters
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 10:04:22 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-healeys@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-healeys@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of James Shope
Sent: 30 April 2006 04:30
To: healeys

i have always wondered why the british, who live in that wet, cool climate,
never put an adequate heater in their beautiful automobile.  it is totally
useless in a portland, oregon type of climate and i usually did not even
bother to turn it on.  i am going to reinstall the heater in the bn6 because
it was already there, but it serves no function.  the fan needs about 3 more
speeds and the ducting is antiquated.  i would trade it for an air
conditioner
anytime.  Healeylmanjim

Granted all you say re. the climate, but not 100% sure about the heaters'
lack of output. Mine always looked fine but provided no heat worth talking
about. Then the valve went, so out came the heater. I flushed the core and
removed about 40 years of crud - about 10 heaters' worth - and put it back
as it had been before. Some improvement, but no heatwave
Latterly, inspired by an article on the subject, I got out the "Driver's
handbook" to see what control was supposed to do what and how, loosened off
all those ghastly wire pulls and got all the controls set up properly....so
when it's meant to be fully "on" the valve is fully open and vice verca. It
had probably never been like that before, certainly never in my days. Yes,
it helped a lot. Is it toasty warm, like my VW? No, be serious. But it's
much better and it was easy to do.
Simon