electrical problem

To: list healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: electrical problem
From: linwood rose <linwoodrose@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 08:09:46 -0400
I need a little help getting started with solving this problem:

I am installing a new alternator in my son's Bugeye. We had a Lucas
alternator in it before. I have just installed a mitsubishi unit. Had
to do a little bracket work and the usual fitting, but in the end I
was pleased with the effort.

I had a three prong plug on the Lucas alt. Big spade brown wire from
the battery, two little ones - one for the brown/yellow wire that I
think is the indicator warning light to the speedo, through the
ignition I believe. I forget what the other small wire is, sourced
from the no longer used voltage regulator.

On the mitsubishi alternator, the big brown wire (big spade
connector) from the battery connects to a scew terminal on the back
of the unit. The other two small wires from the Lucas plug were
spliced into the Mitsubishi two prong plastic plug and plugged into
the back of the alternator.

I then checked my battery -fully charged, and turned on the ignition.
Got nothing, No fuel pump ticking, no fuel gauge jumping into action.
I have spark to the alternator through the brown wire from the
battery. The starter works fine. But, nothing at the ignition switch.
No obvious lose wires and everything worked before the alternator
change over. No blown fuses.

Can anyone help me with a troubleshooting plan of attack? Probably
something silly or stupid that I overlooked.

Thanks.

Lin