RE: smitty trans

To: <Awgertoo@aol.com>, <KingR44916@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: smitty trans
From: "Tracy Drummond" <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 05:20:44 -0700
For Smitty pics go to www.bighly.com

Choose Transmission from the left menu

Click Smitty Conversion

Or go directly to

www.bighly.com/transmission/smitty/smitty.htm

I used the Toyota lever. The car is a 1960 BT7 early 3000.  What I did was
remove the nylon bush from the end of the lever and set it aside to protect
it from heat. Then using a torch, I heated up and melted out the plastic
bushing that holds the hollow extension on the lever.  The extension should
just come right off.  I then removed some material to make the end the
correct (smaller) diameter for the same thread as the Healey shifter.  Once
threaded presto, cool little shifter.

My installation includes a BJ8 Bill Bolton lightened flywheel, diaphragm
style clutch, new and improved aluminum pilot bush with pressed in bearing.
I wiped out two of the solid brass ones.  Check with Pete Delaney for the
new ones.

Tracy