Re: Steering Box Drain

To: PG <britishcars@shaw.ca>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering Box Drain
From: "Robert D. Hughes" <dhugh@tscnet.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 17:46:02 -0700
Several years ago I found the floor under the steering box suddenly covered
with oil.  After adding the heavy weight
oil several times and the leak (flow?) still happening, I tried using STP
-- didn't drain the old oil out of the box, just
topped up with STP.  After a couple of weeks of keeping the box topped up,
the leak stopped and hasn't been a
problem since.  I still check it and add a small amount of STP maybe a
couple time a year, so there is still a small
leak, but it's just a random drip rather that a puddle.

The STP isn't hard to put in.  Just pour it into an oil can (the
squeeze-handle type) and go to it.  I keep the can in
my traveling kit, just in case.

Robert Hughes
65 BJ8