Re: BJ8 front hub problems

Subject: Re: BJ8 front hub problems
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 19:04:35 -0700
Steve,

re:

"The shims are used to adjust freeplay of the hub in an inboard/outboard
direction and do not have an effect on the rotation of the hub."

I repectfully disagree.  Remove all the shims, crank the hub nut down
to about 75 ft-lbs and the hub won't rotate.  I guarantee it.

The shimming is meant to put the proper preload on the bearings.  Measuring
the endplay is just a way to measure, indirectly, that you have the proper
preload.  Theoretically, you don't want any sideplay in a disk brake, but
you you're allowed a little, just to be sure the bearings aren't binding.

bs