Brakes Problem Resolved

To: "'Austin-Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brakes Problem Resolved
From: "Paul Jennings" <paul@jenningsok.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 19:22:43 +0100
Listers
A few weeks ago I asked for some help on a brakes problem. My original post is
shown as a footnote.
Many thanks to those who responded on and off list with their suggestions.
Most of the advice centred on replacing the flexible hoses.

So I went to Wawrick (AH Spares - always good service, mail or in person) and
picked up my Goodrich performance steel braided, PTFE lined hose kit and with
some help replaced the originals.
Guess what? - Couldn't even blow through the right front original, hence the
weird sterering properties on braking.
Replaced the synthetic fluid, back to mineral, so bled the system and clutch.
Replaced the rear shoes that had suffered due to a previous leaking cylinder
and the result is nice hard brake and clutch pedals.
Passed the annual inspection on Saturday with excellent, well balanced
pressures all round on the 'rolling road'.

Incidentally, words to the wise - the rear flexible hose was severely worn
because of chaffing against the right side damper body (although I couldn't
see how bearing in mind the distance between components). Couldn't see the
serious wear until the hose was off. Major safety problem if I'd continued in
ignorance. Check this regularly!

Kenlowe Fan
As an aside. while at A H Spares, I bought a new Kenlowe fan because of
over-heating on a hot day last summer in traffic. Fitted very easily and
managed to disguise the new wires by winding electricians black tape round the
existing harness. I took the opportunity to replace the gasket on the engine
thermostat housing because it was leaking a bit - funny though, no thermostat!
Must have been taken out before my time, so new one on order.
The new electric thermostat switch sits neatly by the brake resevoir. Now
confident that we can take on longer trips knowing that the Kenlowe will
kick-in when needed.

Many thanks again for the helpful guidance, and happy Healeying
Paul

'63 BJ7, called Denise
HBJ7L 22543

Last autumn (sorry, fall) My BJ7 gradually developed a braking problem.
Apply the brakes and the car dives to the left, but lift your foot off and the
car lurches to the right, as if positive pressure is being applied to that
side (not just in response to steering compensation). The car has been
driveable - but with care!

In the UK we have to go through an annual test and this involves a rolling
road - car failed last week.
The results show that there is poor braking performance on the right side and
slow disengagement, again on the right side.
New stainless steel pistons installed to front calipers two years ago.
Synthetic brake fluid used.
Rear brakes overhalued in the winter. New rear brake cylinder to left side.
System partially bled.

Anyone had any experience of this lop-sided situation, before I get to grips
with tracking back through the brake pipe circuits.