fuel Tank fitting

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: fuel Tank fitting
From: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 18:28:16 -0700
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I was hoping to just pop the tank
in this morning and be done with it but I guess I will need to do some
adapting.  Just for the record, my original tank outlet does have a straight
coarse male thread.  The original fuel pipe is terminated with a mushroom
shaped fitting sweated on to the pipe.  This end seats against a large concave
surface in the end of the tank fitting and is tightened up with a female
threaded nut that threads onto the male fitting on the tank.  I believe that
these were original.  I also believe that this type of fitting is more leak
proof and less likely to fatigue from vibration than the usual off the shelf
compression fittings that squeeze a ring around the pipe.  That's why I was
trying to save the original type of fitting.  I will simply have to replace
the old fitting on the end of the pipe with another piece of new pipe and use
an off the shelf pipe thread to compression union.  I know it's not that big
of a deal, I just assumed the new tank would have the same fittings.  My
mistake.
Ron