Re:UPDATE- Intermittant ignition problem

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:UPDATE- Intermittant ignition problem
From: "George Vernau Sr." <gvernau@containerhouse.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 22:52:55 -0600
I previously wrote--
>I recently changed to a reduction gear starter on my 1967 BJ8 (a fantastic
>improvement by the way) and thereafter started
>having intermittant ignition 'cutting out' problems.  My first thought was a
>short resulting from the starter change but I think
>I've eliminated that as a cause.  I now have noticed that it occurs at roughly
>the same distance from the house,ie, also the same elapsed time (about 25-30
>minutes).  >Could something be heating up and failing?  It has a Pertronics
>Electronic Ignition so no condenser but it does have a rotor.  How about the
>coil- could the heat be causing >the intermittant cutting out- I think I last
>changed coils in the 1970's.  It's not a fuel problem, I've checked it out.
I thank everyone who responded to my recent request for help.  I have since
replaced only the coil and after several hundred miles the
problem has not repeated. However, I have a feeling that it might actually have
been the wire from the dist to the coil, the wire fits
much tighter in the new coil and the old rubber grommet was worn out and not
holding the wire securely.
Thanks again,
George Vernau Sr.