Re: Engine Reassembly

To: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>,
Subject: Re: Engine Reassembly
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 20:20:14 -0400
Ned,
Be very careful to line up the splines further down in the overdrive unit.
There are 3 to line up exactly in line, one of them being the splines of the
unidirectional clutch which will really only turn one way. A long thin
screwdriver is the best thing to use to line these splines up. Some of the
splines are brass so don't try to force anything.
This is all explained in the manual with a picture of these splined
surfaces.
Also when the gearbox is almost home, make sure the pump cam lobe is on the
heel (shallowest part of the cam) so the pump roller can gently pop on top
of the cam surface. If any amount of sideways force is exerted on the pump
roller it can bend the pump shaft. A thou. side thrust can make the pump
shaft stick and sieze in its bore.

Rich Chrysler