Re: Redline Trans Fluid

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Redline Trans Fluid
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:10:40 -0700
Bob:

With respect, I don't know if you should be using MT90 in your diff.  MTL
and MT90 (slightly heavier) have friction enhancing additives which is why
they work so well in manual transmissions and manual transaxles, and
especially in the Healey's gearbox/overdrive unit with it's cone clutch in
the overdrive.

The factory recommended 10 / 30 engine oil in the Healey gearbox/od unit,
and MTL is probably very close to that.  A lot of us have used 20 / 50
engine oil - slightly better protection in hot weather - MT90 is about as
close as possible to that - either seems to work quite well, as you have
discovered.

Again with respect, I would go with a proper gear oil for your diff -
Redline synthetic or otherwise, lest you invite premature wear in your diff
gears.  Anything equivalent to a good quality hypoid gear oil is what is
wanted.

A visit to  www.redlineoil.com will interest you.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.