Re: Dieseling

To: Gene Montresor <ermontresor@snet.net>,
Subject: Re: Dieseling
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:58:54 -0700
Gene:

The biggest reason I have found for dieseling on BJ8's is too fast an idle
speed - for one reason or another.

The HD8 carb is designed to idle with the throttle plates completely closed,
on the idle air bleed circuit, which bypasses the main circuit (adjustable
with the air bleed screw).  I have found many BJ8's set up to idle on the
fast idle screws, which work by holding the throttle plates slightly open.
Another disadvantage - the fast idles are governed by the choke control, and
we all know that they never really return reliably to the same position
every time, don't we!

Assuming that the timing and mixtures are set correctly (and that the engine
is otherwise healthy - no air or vacuum leaks, etc.), with apologies to
Steve - a correctly set idle speed of 600 - 700 RPM should solve your
problem, or at least point you in the right direction.  Be aware that most
BJ8 tachs that have not been rebuilt are likely not accurate - in fact
sometimes wildly so.  Use a tune-up instrument with a  tachometer function.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8