Distributor Rotor explosion

To: healeys@autox.team.net, caahc@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Distributor Rotor explosion
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:08:33 EDT
Yesterday on the way back from Akron the 3000 developed an intermittent mild
miss, as if one cylinder was misfiring.  This morning I removed the
distributor cap and saw that the nut securing the contact set was a bit
loose--I
tightened the nut, replaced the cap and went for a test run.  I got about 1/4
mile
and the car died.  I again removed the distributor cap and the rotor was
missing.

I found one piece of bakelite and the brass arm on top of the distributor
plate.  Upon disassembling the distributor I found the arm rivet, the
springplate
that goes inside the rotor and another coil spring about 3/4" long laying in
the body of the distributor --this was not an advance spring  nor the spring
under the cap contact--those were all intact.  I can't find any springs in the
distributor--any thoughts here?  It is definitely larger than either of the
above.

There was a fine shower of brass filings throughout the distributor--should I
be concerned with the shaft bearing surface?  Also the advance diaphragm was
inoperative--who sells these parts?  The distributor has the following numbers
stamped into the body:

DM6A406620
PEG 560

Thanks in advance--Michael Oritt