RE: moss fan

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: moss fan
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 20:16:31 -0700
Ten years ago, I installed a Moss six-blade fan that appeared to be a
similar construction as the original Austin fan, but it was made in China.
After 8 months and 2500 miles, it threw a blade (or two) due to a fatigue
crack that initiated in the radius at the base of the blade.  I sent the
broken blades and the remainder of the fan to them, and Moss replaced it
with an identical fan (plus a new radiator and fan belt), but a year after
my incident they issued a recall of this type of fan, replacing it with a
stainless steel riveted fan and a $125 gift certificate.  I assume that they
had had more reports of failures in the interim.  When I removed the second
Chinese fan in response to the recall, I noted paint chipping in the same
place where the first fan blades failed, and I am sure the blades were
flexing would have failed in the same way had the fan stayed installed.

Ten years after the recall, I would be surprised if Moss is still selling
the same fan that caused the problem, or any other fan that would present
any danger of fatigue failures.  KingR44916's post doesn't provide enough
details about the problem he is referring to.  Is it a new problem with a
different fan, or the problem with the old fan from ten years ago?  Is
anyone aware of recent failures?

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry