Tool Box

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tool Box
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:53:16 -0700
For my annual, long (3,000+ miles) Healey road trip, I apply the First
Corollary to
Murphy's Law: if you have a part or tool, you won't need it.  I've
acquired this
tool set based on more than a dozen trips, always looking for the most
secluded
and out-of-the way roads.  And, although I have almost two complete sets
of tools,
I do repair and routine maintenance with this set as much as possible,
so I know
I'll have the tool I need to do either on the road.

My fishing tackle box-sized tool box holds:

Sockets and Wrenches:

1/4" drive:
   3/16" - 3/8" regular sockets (by 1/32")
   ratchet handle
   screwdriver handle
   6" wobble extension

3/8" drive:
   3/8" - 3/4" regular sockets (by 1/16")
   3/8" - 11/16" deep sockets
   spark plug socket
   ratchet handle
   8" wobble extension
   3" wobble extension
   Sidewinder (spring-loaded) universal joint extension
   breaker bar
   adapter for 1/4" drive sockets
   adapter for 1/2" drive sockets

1/2" drive:
   5/8" - 1&1/4"  (by 1/16")
           NOTE: 13/16" is particularly important, as it works with fuel
pump and carb banjo bolts
   ratchet handle
   6" extension
   adapter for 3/8" drive sockets

For all sockets, get "socket rails" (spring-loaded holders) and cut to
size (about 6-8")

Wrenches:
   1/4" - 15/16" combination (open and closed end) in 1/16" increments
plus 11/32" (used
      on some electrical connection or another)
   Med (6") Crescent
   Large(12") Crescent

   Get a tool ring!!!   They're about a buck for 3 from Harbor Freight
and keep all your end wrenches
   together and in size order (best $1 I've ever spent).  Saves much
time fishing for the right wrench.

Screwdrivers:
   Large (10") slotted
   Large (10") Phillips
   Medium (6") slotted
   Medium (6") Phillips
   Small (4") slotted
   Small (4") Phillips
   Med (6") Posidrive
   Stubby slotted
   Stubby Phillips
   Combination slotted/Phillips right-angle

Pliers:
   Medium Regular
   Needle-nosed
   Channel Locks (10")
   Diagonal
   Small Vise Grips (4")
   Small Vise Grips (4" "needle-nosed")
   Large Vise Grips (10")
   Electrical quick connect crimper

Other:
   Med ballpein hammer
   Flexible magnetic parts retriever (very important!)
   Gasket scraper
   Small (10" shaft) pry bar (with handle)
   Med flat file
   Small round file
   Small triangular file
   Points file (very important!!!)
   Small hacksaw handle with short blade
   Hex wrench set (Std.)
   Feeler gauge set
   Schrader valve tool
   1/16" point punch
   1/4" point punch
   Medium metal chisel
   Electrical jumper wire with alligator clips
   4 mechanic's rags
   tube of waterless hand cleaner

Sounds like a lot, but just fits in a 8"W X 16"L X 8"H platic tool box,
with a removable
upper tray.

bs