Re: Inlet/exhaust manifold joint

To: "P.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>,
Subject: Re: Inlet/exhaust manifold joint
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:54:05 -0700
Hello Jack:

I know that there have been a couple of conflicting posts on this.

The 2 joints act to create a specific air space between the manifolds as a
sort of 'Healey' version of a heat riser function.  It is designed to warm
the intake manifold at a specific rate during engine warm-up after cold
starting.  The purpose is to minimize fuel condensation on the cold intake
manifold surfaces as quickly as possible without hot spots that might
distort the aluminum manifold.

More than one Healey owner has cracked the 'ears' off of the intake manifold
when installing the 4 long bolts that thread into the exhaust manifold
through the intake (and the joints in question) from the top.  This ruins
the intake manifold, as well as the owners whole day.

Best install the correct joints and allow them to work as designed.  The 4
long bolts should be tightened after all the manifold to cyl. head
fasteners - use a good quality anti-sieze lube on them, you are threading
into cast iron that often gets quite hot!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8