The Engine Started But...

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Engine Started But...
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:48:39 -0400
The engine started. Oil pressure immediately went up to 60 PSI. I took the
RPMs up to 2000 per the cam shaft break-in instructions. It ran smoothly for
about five minutes and then I started to hear an irregular snapping noise.
The engine would vibrate slightly after each snap. I at first thought it was
a spark plug wire arching but my helper said he couldn't see flashes. The
snaps became more numerous and I shut off the ignition.

We examined everything and couldn't see an exterior problem. I tried to
start it again and it would hardly turn over. It did start again but the
noise came back at once. I shut it down.

As always your comments are greatly appreciated,

Ned Smith

BJ8

near Chattanooga, TN

N34.98 W85.5