Re: First Oil Change

To: Austin-Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: First Oil Change
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:38:56 -0400
Ned Smith wrote:

>How long should you drive a new engine before the first oil change? 50mi.,
>100mi. 500mi?

That is pretty much a matter of opinion, but back when the Healeys were
new, 500 miles was pretty much a standard break-in period.  The first
oil fill was usually thinner than normal, too.  Standard break-in advice
included:

o Don't drive at a constant speed (in retrospect, I suspect that was to
develop higher vacuum on deceleration, thus enhancing cylinder wall
lubrication).
o Drive at moderate speeds, and avoid full-throttle acceleration
o No long trips

--
JohnM
Because we don't think about future generations, they will never forget us.