Gas tank fittings

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gas tank fittings
From: "KENNETH MASON" <meditionm@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 23:59:25 -0700
If I am correct the level thread fitting at the fuel pump is the same as the
one at the gas tank discharge.  The thread is definitely not a pipe thread.  I
went through an exercise trying to create a temporary flex-hose set up to
connect a standby fuel pump in the event of normal pump failure.  I found that
there are high pressure hydraulic fittings that have the same type ball inside
of the nut and with a tapered, grooved extension that goes into the flex-hose
for clamping.  In fact I bought a type of hose used with these fittings that
are designed to hold a couple hundred psi without clamps.  Just heat the hose
and push the fitting in place.  The fittings are pricey, but have the correct
thread and can be completely attached by hand pressure only before cinching
them down with a wrench.  There must be someplace to get these as NUTS only
and/or the correct fitting that could be used at the tank itself.
Ken Mason
BJ7 in work