Re: Coil

To: efrenken@lctax.de, healey.nut@gmail.com, NPaul72464@aol.com
Subject: Re: Coil
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 07:45:30 EDT
In a message dated 8/29/2006 7:29:41 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
efrenken@lctax.de writes:

Michael,

I've used Mallory and Pertronix for quite  a while without resistor or
ballasted coil (1Ohm Flamethrower coil) and it  worked like a charm.

--

Eric--

When I first installed the Unilite on my 100 I used the existing Lucas
sports coil without a ballast resistor and yes everything worked  fine. Then I
read
the literature more carefully and saw Mallory's statement  that this high
voltage will lead to early module failure so I installed the  ballast resistor
and in any case have not had a failure.  That system  has been in place since
2002 and about 40K miles of driving.

When I recently installed a Unilite on my wife's 3000 I bought Mallory's
coil which has internal ballast. That works fine too.

It could be that the ballasted circuit is unnecessary but in my older years
I have found that compliance with instructions generally works out better  in
the long run.

Best--Michael Oritt