Re: wiring harness - third attempt, part I

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wiring harness - third attempt, part I
From: Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 08:21:52 -0400
I'm splitting my reply into two messages. There's a limit on message size.  I
don't know what the limit is, and there are some old messages the same size,
but

healeymanjim,

Here's what I've seen so far with the wiring installation in my '62 BT7.  The
harness was bought from British Wiring (nice folks) this past spring.  I'm not
going concours, but I lean towards originality.  When I'm done with the
installation, I will be sending my comments to British Wiring so they can
forward them back to the manufacturer.

1) The new harness has four plastic sockets and one metal socket.  The plastic
sockets include one with a blue/white lead for the high beam light, one with
the
light yellow and black leads for the turn signal lamp, and two with red/white
leads for guage lighting.  The metal socket with yellow and white leads is for
the ignition lamp.

I think the plastic socket for the hi-beam would work fine.  I'm going to
change
mine because I'm going to change out the others and I don't want to end up with
one odd bulb.

The plastic socket for the turn signal lamp won't work.  It fits a 5/8"
diameter
hole, the hole in my lamp holder is about 0.73".

The two plastic sockets for the gauge lighting would work for the two large
gauges.  But harness is missing the two sockets for the two smaller gauges.
The
two missing sockets are the same as the one used for the turn signal lamp.
There
are just two leads for gauge lighting.  Each lead should have two sockets - one
for a small gauge and one for a large gauge.  The lead goes to the small gauge
first, then the large.  I think the leads in the new harness are long enough to
splice in the small gauge socket, but I haven't checked.  The harness doesn't
have any extra red/white leads with bullets on it for the small gauges as Rich
suggested it would.

I have one problem with the metal socket for the ignition lamp.  I installed
the
socket in the tachometer and then pulled it off.  The ring with the metal
prongs
stayed on the gauge.  I'll have to roll the socket lip a bit more and see if
the
ring will stay.

2) The leads to the flasher unit are about 2" shorter than the original.  I
think there are a couple of problems with the harness in this area.  On the
original harness the leads for the wiper motor are about 1" from the brown
leads
that go up to the fuse block, on the new it's 1 1/2".  The leads for the wiper
motor are a 1/4" shorter on the new harness.  Since the wiper motor leads have
to double back to get to the firewall grommet, the shorter length is definitely
noticeable.  And where the flasher unit leads break out of the harness is
different on the new one - 4 3/4" from the brown/fuse leads versus 5 3/4" for
the old harness.

3) Eyelet Terminals -  I replaced several eyelet terminals because the center
hole was too big (overdrive switch, fuel gauge and the flasher unit). May do
some more - gauge grounds. The flag terminals for the flasher relay were too
large (outside diameter).  I reused the ones from the original harness.

Bob