adjusting OD solenoid lever

To: Austin-Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: adjusting OD solenoid lever
From: Carole and Jonathan Quandt <fourqz@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 13:20:44 -0700
The overdrive failed to engage during a weekend trip and my newly
installed ammeter showed a 25amp discharge when the OD switch was
engaged.I figured  my OD solenoid was burned out and limped home at a
pathetic 65 mph. This morning I removed the tunnel and removed a
rather smelly OD solenoid.I decided to go through the solenoid lever
adjustment procedure as outlined in the manual as well as Nock's
version and noticed something which may be a problem . When the
adjusting lever is pushed forward and the 3/16 pin inserted for the
preset the lever is just beginning to encounter spring tension. If
the rest of the adjustment is continued at this point my sense is
that with the solenoid piston in the fully actuated position will not
engage the unit . Again the locating pin seems to only take up the
slack and the lever has more to go.Is this a sign of something wrong
or should I just set the lever past the alignment holes ? Thanx
Jonathan 56 BN2