Oh Those Rear Leaf Springs

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Oh Those Rear Leaf Springs
From: Dan Serrao <jobu1950@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:36:44 -0700 (PDT)
I have a 63 BJ7 and purchased a set of new leaf springs about 6 months ago. The
car was listing to one side a little and it drove me nuts. I stared at those
springs everytime I went into my garage and dreaded the day when I would start
the project. I imagined getting a few of the bolts loose and then having to
find someone with a cutting torch or grinding them off. One of the listers
talked of Kroil which I purchased from the factory. I soaked all the nuts for a
day or so after removing the rear shocks and sending them to Peter at World
Wide Auto for rebuilding. Then I started the dreaded task of removing the
springs. To my amazement the nuts came off with very little muscle! I had the
whole job done in about 3 hours. I installed the new shocks when they arrived
and took the car off the jack stands. The rear body of the car was raised up
about 2-3 inches and no more listing. What a simple job!!! I want to thank all
the people on this list who share their experiences so
 others can benefit from their wisdom. It is so much more gratifying to do the
work myself rather than pay a mechanic to do it his way.
   Keep those stories coming!

  Dan Serrao
  1963 BJ7

How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messengers low  PC-to-Phone call rates.