Re: Hood (soft top) for BN2

To: bluechipracing@snet.net
Subject: Re: Hood (soft top) for BN2
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 19:49:22 EDT
In a message dated 9/17/2006 7:03:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bluechipracing@snet.net writes:

With the  top came a piece of everflex about 3" wide by
about four feet long, folded  in two lengthwize and stitched together about
1/2" from the folded edge,  ends stitched closed also.  Anybody know what this
is for?  where  does it go?

Also, any tips on installing the hood would be greatly  appreciated.

Jim--

Several years back I ordered a replacement top from Robbins for my  car.  In
addition to the top there was also a piece of loose material  about the
dimension--though I don't remember its being doubled over or sewn  as you
describe.
There was also a strip of the "Hide'em" material that goes  along the front
edge.

I did this job with Doug Reid.  There were of course no  instructions but we
finally arrived at the conclusion that  since we would have to begin the
installation along the back edge we  would not later be able to wrap the top
bow
with material and so figured that  the extra piece was to cover the bow.

We first wrapped the extra piece around the bow in a clockwise  direction
(when viewing the bow from the left end) and trimmed  and stapled it just
beyond
the point when a complete wrap was made so that  when we later stapled the
front edge of the top to the front of the  bow we could use the "Hide'em" strip
to conceal the whole seam and  cover all the staples, etc.

After wrapping the bow we fit the back edge of the top to the  car, trying to
keep the line of the top more or less correct and at the same  time trying to
keep the top more or less even both side-to-side and also trying  to keep the
sewn gussets in more or less the right position on the folding metal  bows.
Some compromises were necessary--including repositioning where the  fore-an
d-aft nylon straps attached to the metal bows to make them conform to the  sewn
pockets which were of course non-negotiable.

The last thing to do was to pull the top forward against the bow and fix it
with small staples to the bow so that it covered the seam of the first  piece,
then concealed the staples with the "Hide'em strip" and small  tacks.  The
front rubber seal is glued onto the material that is  wrapped around the bow.

Before we started we got the top warm in the sun so  that it was easier to
work with.  It is definitely a job for four  hands.  I don't know if we did it
correctly or if there is a correct way  but wound up with a top that fit well.

Good luck--Michael Oritt

PS--Do you have an email address for Bob  Bender?