RE: Front Shroud

To: "Mel Brunet" <mburnet@tampabay.rr.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Front Shroud
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:22:26 -0500
Hi Mel, The AH front shrouds I've seen over the last 40 or so years
never seem to fit EXACTLY the same way.  Here's what I did recently on
two cars I put together:  I used the NAPA brand of strip caulk.  The
stuff comes in about a pencil-size diameter in strips about 10"
long...kinda like thick, black, spaghetti.  You roll it, knead it, mush
it together by hand, and build it up to the thicknesses you need
wherever the shroud/bulkhead clearances vary.  I did a couple of trial
fittings to ascertain a complete seal by putting wax paper on top of the
caulk and then installing the shroud.  I just used the 5 little
countersunk screws at the rear of the engine opening for proper
alignment.  Anyway, keep doing this until the top of the caulk layer
shows contact with the shroud.  Then remove the wax paper, add another
very small diameter strip of caulk, press into place, and secure it all
with the appropriate fasteners. I verified a good seal in my darkened
garage using a drop light and a mirror (because my old neck won't bend
enough to see under all the bodywork).  Hey, it works well for
me....just my 2-cents-worth.
Jack