Points picture re car still won't start

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Points picture re car still won't start
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:03:06 +0100
Have ordered new rotor arms! From Cape, whose units are OK, I gather.

However, am bracing myself for disappointment and preparing to revert to
points to eliminate the Pertronix by substitution. As I said before, I seem
to have spent the last zillion years adjusting, but never fitting, points.
Replacing one set with another would be easy enough as I'd take notes to
ensure I got right bit in right place. I have a recent posting that someone
posted re. the order of assembly onto post, but would be grateful if anyone
has clear directions or image that he/she can send.

I know that insulation is everything here.if it shorts, it's dead in the
water. I'll still have a car that won't start and I won't be sure if it's
the original fault or if it's a new one, self inflicted by me!

If points installation works, the fickle finger of fate (was that Rowan or
Martin?) will be pointing at the Pertronix. I'll send it to the distributor
(sorry about that!) and have it checked. If it's u\s I'll replace it.
Probably with a negative earth unit as I've had a hankering for some of the
things which that permits...I know the basics here.I even did it years ago,
but the fuel pump issue eludes me. I recall that I've got a more recent
(BJ8) type pump in my MkII BT7. It has points but it has the resistor also.

Do I simply swap the resistor round? Do I move it to somewhere else? Do I
get a different one?

Thanks, as ever, for your advice,

Simon Lachlan