RE: adjusting valves

To: "'Alan Seigrist Blue 100'" <healey.nut@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: adjusting valves
From: "Tracy Drummond" <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:12:07 -0700
>From my archives -  Original poster gets the credit

Apply the rule of 13  .........

#1 open    Adjust #12
#2 open    Adjust #11
#3 open    Adjust #10     etc....etc....etc...

Yes there is a sequence!

You must be sure that the valve you are adjusting is completely closed with
the rocker arm riding on the round part of the camshaft.   My friend the
Diesel Doctor (Chris Oliver of Chesapeake Marine Engines) does it this way.

Cover up all but one set of valves so you won't be confused.  Identify which
is the exhaust and which valve is the intake on the cylinder you are looking
at.  Turn the engine in the direction of its normal rotation with a socket
on the main crank shaft nut.  Watch the two valves and adjust the intake
valve when the exhaust valve just starts to open.  A neat way to precisely
identify this spot is to roll the exhaust valve push-rod with your fingers
as you turn the engine.  Stop when the exhaust valve push-rod won't move.
(The push-rod is riding on the cam lobe and just starting to push up on the
rocker arm that forces the valve down and open).

Adjust the exhaust valve when the intake valve has just closed.  Determine
this point by trying to roll the intake push rod with your fingers and
stopping when the intake push rod just starts to roll.  (The intake valve
push rod is completely off the rocker arm and the spring has completely
closed the intake valve).

Numerous years ago, a BMC master mechanic introduced me to the Rule of 13.

Warm is Warm and Hot is Hot depending who's fingars you are using.

Warm is the easiest to work with and I have never had a clearence problem.

If the engine is cold by the time adjustment is completed , I hope you're
not
workng by the hour

A box end wrench, common blade screwdriver, and wide flat blade feeler guage
will see you through

Starting with the #1 valve completely depressed, (open),  (count 13 valves),
this valve will be completely closed, adjust the rocker to the clearence you
want.

Continue through all valves (counting 13) then do it again (and again if
needed) to
 accomplish the task.