Motor Eats Spark Plug

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Motor Eats Spark Plug
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 00:50:55 -0500
OK, this is kind of a long story, but I think most of it is relevant to the
issue.

A couple of months or so ago my BN1 had the fuel pump go out and despite my
attempts to revive it it didn't seem to want to pump reliably, so I replaced
it with a NAPA facet low pressure pump.

If anything the car seemed to run better with the new pump, smooth
acceleration and idle.  Except when I first started, at which time it would
sometimes backfire, never did this prior to the new pump, could it be stronger
and defeating the floats?

So anyway I start it yesterday and it backfires a little, but has an obvious
miss on one cylinder, as it warms up (maybe a couple minutes) the missing
cylinder begins to catch and the motor now is running fine and I take it out
for about 20 miles.  I figure it may be partly due to the colder weather, but
certainly bears investigation.

Today I start it, same thing, starts with a miss, but also backfires pretty
good shortly after start up when I give it gas and try to get it to work
through the miss.  Warms up, runs great, had a great fall drive, sounds real
healthy once warm.

Tonight I am tinkering and have bought a new set of plugs, my motor burns a
little oil and I am guessing I have fouled my plug and that is my miss
problem.

When I take out plug 1 THE ENTIRE ELECTRODE AND ELECTRODE INSULATOR IS
MISSING.  I find this really bizarre as the car had been running great when I
pulled it into the garage earlier in the day.

I try to fish out the electrode with a magnet (through the plug hole), I get a
piece of metal that looks like a small nail, I think this was the electrode,
but the insulation may still be in there.

I was planning to do an engine rebuild starting in October and I know the
bores are shot to I do something a little goofy and start the car, there is
definitely something bouncing in there, I shut down.

My question is this, do you think the plug, on the verge of going bad and
offering up its electrode to my motor,  was causing the miss and the backfire,
or was the new fuel pump dumping in too much fuel and the backfire caused the
plug to shatter at the electrode?

Obviously the idea of this happening after the rebuild is my concern, want to
figure out the probable cause and eliminate it.

Anybode else ever have a spark plug electrode break off at the base and dump
itself into the motor?, these were supposedly premium plugs, I certainly payed
enough for them, and have recommended them in the past, although now I am not
so sure.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1