RE: Rear hub studs and nuts

To: "'BJ8Healeys'" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear hub studs and nuts
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:41:42 -0400
Hi Steve,
Very much appreciate the information.
As you know "loosening off "of these is often a problem on wire wheel cars
so correct tightening torque is very important.
However, the biggest problem with the strange conical self locking nuts used
to secure the wire wheel adaptors is that although there is plenty of thread
there is a very limited bearing area for the wrench or socket used to
install or remove them, and if one is not very careful, it is easy to round
off the nut.
As has been mentioned previously on this list, if you round off one of those
conical nuts they are very difficult to remove.
I would urge anyone working on these to be sure to use only a 6 point socket
which is in very good condition. For this purpose I keep a special 6 point
impact socket, from which I have machined off the outer face to achieve the
largest bearing area on the nut flats.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com