RE: tune up problems

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tune up problems
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:25:46 -0700
Jim, your description pretty much matches the way my BJ8 started in the
mornings last weekend after sitting outside in the rainy, cool mountains of
Virginia each night.  The cars are very cold natured, and if the temps are
really cool or they have sat for several days, they can be reluctant to
start.  The moisture you feel at the tailpipe is most likely the normal H20
that a cold engine generates until it warms up thoroughly.  That's what
rusts out the exhaust system so quickly on cars that are just driven short
distances.

Normally, during the mild winters here after my car has sat idle in the
garage for a few days, I have to use starting fluid to give it a boost.
That usually makes it start right up first time.  Not having the starting
fluid last weekend, I had to manually pull up on the carb jet levers while
my wife turned the key to coax it to start.  That worked successfully after
grinding on the starter did not.  Perhaps my chokes need a slight
adjustment, but I usually have no problem starting the car as long as it
isn't too cool and the engine has been exercised recently.

My suggestion would be first to make sure your choke cables are adjusted per
the manual, then to get yourself some starting fluid at your local parts
store.  A good shot of that into each carb will avoid long cranks on the
starter.

Good luck!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666