Re: diaphragm clutch in BJ7

To: Frank Edwards <logical2@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: diaphragm clutch in BJ7
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:21:39 -0700
Frank:

Welcome to the list!

Many of us have installed the BJ8 diaphragm-type clutch to our earlier
Healeys, I've done so in my BT7.  I highly recommend it - the BJ8 clutch is
a huge improvement over the earlier one.

You've heard right - your flywheel has to be modified - both the dowel pin
and the clutch mounting bolt pattern and size are different, otherwise the
flywheel is the same.  You could simply locate a BJ8 flywheel and mount it
up - no other changes necessary to clutch hydraulics or pivot arm - a 3
piece BJ8 clutch kit bolts right in.

Since the engine is out and you're 'right there', you might want to consider
a lightened flywheel, as well as a crankshaft rear oil seal kit at this
time.  Bill Bolton tricarb@aol.com might be able to help you with a
flywheel, and any of the 'usual supect' Healey suppliers will have the seal
kit available.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb