oil leak

To: <grumpyinloomis@ssctv.net>
Subject: oil leak
From: "Mr. Finespanner" <mrfinespanner@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:53:29 -0500
Jerry,
You are better off cutting threads in the block and fitting a hex drive
plug with sealant for the oil gallery.
Doug Reid, 18G Motorworks

Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:21:43 -0700
From: "Jerry Costanzo" <grumpyinloomis@ssctv.net>
Subject: Oil leak, strange source, Check next time you have your back plate
off!

I had a problem with a slipping clutch and a lot of drips after the engine
got
hot.  I finally pulled the transmission and found the expected oil on the
clutch.  The source was a surprise.  I was expecting to find the rear seal
(aftermarket) was leaking, but instead found that the rear oil gallery plug
was loose.   My machine shop had taken out the plugs to fully clean the
block.
He replaced the plug with a 9/16 expansion cup.  As I was staring at the rear
of the engine, I noted oil dripping from the galley.  I tapped the plug and
it
slide in about an inch.  It was loose enough to allow oil to leak past.

So check the oil galley also if you have leaks

The car had only about 7000 miles on the Clutch/ pressure plate and bearing.
Because of the slipping the clutch was really worn.  The pressure plate looks
like new.    What a waste!

Jerry
BN4