Rebirth of BT7 6744 Continues

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebirth of BT7 6744 Continues
From: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 07:32:25 -0400
Wow I really didn't intend to make a new career as an auto mechanic out of
this restoration but it appears that I am.  My wife is beginning to think I
have a long legged beauty hidden out in my garage.  A few questions have
arisen and I need some feedback from the list.

First off may I say how much I despise the after market wire clamps for these
cars.  Almost everyone leaked no matter how much torque I applied.   They suck
as a fluid block, we'll see how they do on the blow by gas system.  I changed
mine out to the more common worm gear type.

-FLUIDS ALL OVER THE PLACE.  FYI,  plug the hole up where the temp. send unit
goes or you will get seepage, TONS.

-Expect the wire hose clamps to leak, as mentioned earlier.

-There is a bolt hole next to the distributor lube tube at the block.  Make
sure the rebuilder put the bolt back in or you will get oil seepage,   TONS.

Now my questions:   A short intro:    I have only hooked up enough of the
electrics to get the car started.  Ignition, pump, oil gauge.

Starting systems appeared to be ready,   turn the key, hit the button,  NODDA.
Looked things over quickly,  seemed to be in order.
decided to try the push button on the solenoid,  BINGO, we have ignition,
ignition, ignition,   IT WON'T TURN OFF, no matter what I do it keeps
cranking.    A rush for the 1/2 inch spanner, then back to the battery and off
with the neg. cable.   Wow, what is going on here.

So its back to the meter to take some continuity checks again.  All tests
below are done with the ignition off, battery not connected.

Questions:   I am getting a ground reading on the starter side of the
solenoid,   is that correct?    All cables are hooked up.

                    I get a ground reading on the small  White/ red  solenoid
terminal,  is that correct?  All cables are hooked up.

                    The battery side of the solenoid is open to ground,  that
has to be correct.

                    Both coil terminals are reading ground,  is that correct?
All wires are hooked up.

                    I am getting continuity on my fuel pump from the positive
post to the ground post  with no wiring hooked to it,
                    is that correct?    The pump was not hooked up during the
starter problem, this was something I noticed as I
                    was redoing the continuity checks.

Thanks in advance,   Mark