Re: distributors

To: "John Rowe" <jarowe@westnet.com.au>,
Subject: Re: distributors
From: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 02:07:14 +1100
John

I'd recommend that you speak to Barry Campbell from the Sydney club, who can
rebuild your Distributor and - more importantly - regraph it to suit the
specs of your engine. Check a yearbook for Barry's ph number.

25D6 and DM6 distributor caps are not interchangeable.

25D6, 25D4, 23D6, 23D6 are all the same family - everything is
interchangeable - you can make a 4 cyl (25D4) into a six cylinder (25D6) by
interchanging components. But nothing (other than the rotor) is
interchangeable between a DM6 and  the 23D/25D family.

Do you have webers or SU's? If you have webers - I'd be thinking about
looking for a 23D6 (no vacuum advance) - which is what the works triple
weber Sebring cars used (at least in 1965 eh Joe).

Are you using the dist tach drive housing? BJ8's - which ran the 25D6 - have
an electronic tacho - the distributor has no provision for driving the
tach - so you'd need to put the gear off the DM6 on the end of the 23/26D
shaft.

25D/23D family distributors generally have a slot drive on the end of the
distributor - early 3000 DM6's have a gear drive (for the tacho). Austin
sedan DM6's are slot drive (they don't have the tacho either).

Best

Chris
www.myaustinhealey.com