Re: Crank and Rods

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crank and Rods
From: Healeyguy@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 17:54:07 EST
In a message dated 11/5/2006 11:41:47 AM Hawaiian Standard Time,
BJ8mk3@shaw.ca writes:

peak  power at about 6,500
rpm.

OK, "peak power" is always a questionable phrase to me. Long stroke 6
cylinder engines are generally designed for lower RPM max torque.  When you
mention
higher RPM range, especially above the factory redline, then I suspect  that
you are talking about horse power. You'll note the factory manual indicates
horse power and torque values at a low 2700 RPM. I know that the stock BJ8
tach has a red line area between 5500 and 7000 but I trust that about as  much
as
the accuracy of the RPM that the tach is indicating.

When visiting the historic races in Portland Oregon several years ago I
questioned one of the more successful Healey racers competing about his  engine
development. He said that it cost "X" dollars to build an  engine to rev
reliably at 5000 rpm.  For every 500 additional RPM it  costs twice as much.
If his
numbers are correct it would cost 8 times more  than the stock build to have
it reliable at 6500.  Obviously he was  talking about race engines but the
stock components are not up to the task  except for an occasional blast between
stop lights. High performance engine  parts are expensive and you will need
them
to get to 6500.
Aloha
Perry