Re: Oil question

To: "List Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil question
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 06:26:42 -0800
Eric,

I'd ad that the base oil for multigrades is actually less then the "W"
oil; e.g. for 20W-50 the base
oil is about 15, since the VIs (viscosity improvers) have an effect when
the oil is cold.

The main problem with straight-weight oils is that they're so thick when
cold--you run the risk
of starving the top end of oil for a few seconds after start-up.  OTOH,
the straight-weights MAY
adhere to the surfaces better, offering some protection till the stuff
gets flowing.

There's a LOT of debate about this in the aviation community.  The
consensus  is that  if want the
best of both worlds, or live in a climate of extremes, run the
straight-weight in the summer and the
multi-grade--or at least a lighter straight-weight--in the winter.

bs