Re: USING 2 TWELVE VOLT BATTERIES

To: bj8healey@juno.com
Subject: Re: USING 2 TWELVE VOLT BATTERIES
From: Robert Blair <rnbmail@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:51:26 -0800 (PST)
Rob,

Simple - DO NOT DO THE FIRST WAY YOU DESCRIBED -
disaster - that puts two batteries in series - ie 24
volts connected one way as you described, and 0 volts
connected the reverse way.

The ONLY way is to connect two batteries is just like
you are using jumper cables to start a dead battery -
the second battery being used is in parallel - ie
positive to positive, and neagative to negative
terminals.

Robert, 65BJ8.

--- bj8healey@juno.com wrote:

> Hello listers, I have a question.
> I want to hook up two 12 volt batteries to give
> extra cranking power to
> my BJ8. I want to end up with the equivalent of a
> large 12 volt battery
> without frying my electrical system. There are two
> ways I can think of to
> do it but I am not sure which one, if either is
> correct.
>
> I could connect the positive cable from my car to
> the positive terminal
> of one battery. Then connect the negative cable from
> my car to the
> negative terminal of the OTHER battery. To complete
> the circuit I would
> then run a cable from the unused positive terminal
> on one battery to the
> unused negative terminal on the OTHER battery. I
> think this would suit
> the purpose, but not remembering my college
> electrical physics I don't
> want to chance it without some expert advice from
> you folks. The car is
> now a negative ground if that plays into this.
>
> The other way to do it, which I think is not the
> correct way, is to cable
> the two batteries together -- positive to positive
> and negative to
> negative then attach the car cables as usual,
> positive cable to a
> positive terminal and the negative cable to a
> negative terminal. I don't
> guess it matters which terminal goes to which
> battery as long as the
> polarity is correct. But I think this would create
> 24 volts and be a
> disaster.
>
> I don't know if either, neither or both of these
> methods would give me
> the desired results. As stated before, my electrical
> knowledge leaves a
> lot to be desired.
>
> Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.
>
> Rob Fromm
> bj8healey@juno.com

                        Robert - Yellow 65BJ8
rnbmail@yahoo.com
Cell: 408-221-5244

  If this email message has been received by you in error, please contact the
sender asap - Thank You.