Steering Geometry Finale

To: Healeys at Autox <healeys@autox.team.net>, Dave & M
Subject: Steering Geometry Finale
From: Dave Schweninger <quenty@ntelos.net>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 11:32:40 -0400
First, I''d like to thank all the folks who jumped in and helped me
figure this thing out. Lots of ideas and suggestions.
I had a couple of theories, both of which were wrong.
#1. I felt the BMC parts list indicated that there were 4 different
steering arms and only 2 part numbers. Not True.
#2. It seemed to me that the only logical solution was that the
spline hole was put in on an angle. Not True. And a little bit silly
from a production
       stand point.
  It's interesting how easy it is to pick out an answer that agrees
with your solution.
Bob Yule very graciously sent me a replacement steering arm. After
removing the steering arm ( this is no Fun!) it was obvious. The arm
was bent. Just to make sure, I also removed the idler arm and checked
it also. Straight and Flat.
So-- As Rich Chrysler insisted, both arms are straight and flat.
Also the steering gear and the idler are designed to mount at exactly
the same angle.  About 220.
The part # in the BMC list are confusing. They make sense if you
realize that when a car is built the change from RH steering to LH
steering means the steering gear and the idler box swap sides and the
arms don't.

  Thanks, Again. This list is great!
               Dave and Daisy.   Who now has straight arms!

.