Re: Valve job and Cam Complications

To: sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Valve job and Cam Complications
From: healeybn7@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 11:48:03 -0400
Joe,

I just discovered the same on my followers yesterday when I removed them from
my 3000 head.  Some were fine, others pitted.  A couple badly pitted.  I was
wondering over night if perhaps it was tied to either exhaust or inlet valves,
or was just random.  Haven't checked that out yet this morning (I numbered them
all when they came out).  I am now worried that the cam lobes are likewise
worn, and I need to go check.
Is there a tendency for exhaust valve cam lobes and followers to wear faster
than inlet?  Or vise versa?  Or, should there be even wear - to no wear?  Nice
and smooth.  Within some mileage expectation.
Don't know how many miles are on the engine as the car is somewhat new to me.
But, it is not more than about 30k miles since the last rebuilt so the wear
seems a bit unusual.  Unless, as you mention, the cam was badly ground.
In any event, I have new followers and a new cam sitting on the bench, so away
I go.

Regards,
Dave