Re: Disc brake upgrades

To: "Pieter and Linda Scheenhouwer" <pieterscheen@optusnet.com.au>
Subject: Re: Disc brake upgrades
From: "John Rowe" <jarowe@westnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 20:16:50 +0800
Hi Pieter

When I did my rear disc brake conversion I consulted with probably the
leading brake part manufacturer in WA about the new balance from front to
rear.

The used some computer program they had and put in the relative values of my
'BJ8' front calipers and my 'new' Type 14 Girling rear calipers and came up
with the the answer that the 'new' system was about 60/40 (front/rear) and
was as good as it was going to get without going to an aftermarket system. I
don't use a brake balance bar or adjustable brake fluid valve.

The rear disc does not improve the short term braking effort but rather the
long term braking ie brake fade.

The XJ6 calipers or the Type 14 Girling calipers used on the works cars have
about the same piston size and pad effort as the original drums.

I use EBC pads in mine. Green at the rear and red at the front. In the
Classic Adelaide I used Porterfield street racepads in the front to assist
in brake fade under heavy loads and it worked.

I believe if you go up in piston area on the front you will only have an
unhealthy balance towards the front.

I hope all this info doesn't confuse the situation.

cheers

John Rowe

1959 3000 BT7