[Healeys] Fact-Check: Average Miles Per Gallon?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Fact-Check: Average Miles Per Gallon?
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 14:59:29 EDT
In a message dated 8/31/07 8:10:05 PM, healeys-request@autox.team.net writes:

> How is it
> that my '53 BN1, a high performance sportscar no less, gets better mileage
> than the average US passenger car fleet in 2007???

The last year for which U.S. Passenger Car Fleet MPG is available is 2004,
but 2005 New car data is available -- both from U.S. DOT (all you need to do
find this data is google "average milesage U.S. Passenger Car.")
The U.S. passenger car fleet was getting 22.4 mpg in 2004, and the average
new car in the U.S was getting 29.9 mpg in 2005.
So, are you saying you get over 22.4 mpg in your BN2 on a regular basis? If
so, my guess is your mileage is much better than the average across the Healey
fleet. And, oh, by the way, your "high performance sports car" can be beaten
on any track at any time by an stock Ford Focus.
I'm just saying that if we're going to carry on these debates, we need to get
our facts straight first.

(Incidentally, for the record, I personally believe that the Healey is a
marvelous example of a classic performance car and is still capable of
long-distance touring on modern highways, I enjoy the hell out of racing my
race-prepped
MGA in spite of the fact that I can beat its track times by several seconds in
any bone-stock 2007 Mini Cooper S, and I believe that classic sports cars
built more than 25 years ago, owned and driven by hobbyists for hobby purposes
should be exempt from smog restrictions.)
Cheers
Gary